I am Jack's smirking revenge

  • Sunday, November 25, 2007
  • Payton Bartee
  • If my life ever felt like "The Twilight Zone," it's after I pull off a marathon journey either to or from home/college. I may not be hearing the exact theme music to the popular show, but there's a distinct ringing in my head that is definitely making me a bit delirious. This is a euphoric feeling--I'm completely physically and mentally exhausted, even though all I did was stay up all night sitting in a car, yet it takes such a toll on your body. I feel awful from fast food, from the time zone and geography change, and of course, CLASS in roughly twelve hours. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of The Narrator from Fight Club. Ed Norton portrays the insomniac as a desperate person void of a normal existence. But there's a chaotic glory in the way this sleepy social parasite floats through his life. I'd imagine what I feel after a long trip is what The Narrator feels like 24/7...well, before Fight Club anyway.

    At the same time, I LOVE this euphoric feeling of accomplishment. Remember in elementary school when you'd get ribbons at the science fair, or be awarded a team sports medallion or trophy? That feeling of pure excitement, even though what you had "accomplished" might not have even been as significant as you thought. It didn't matter, because it only had to mean something to you. I love driving long distances. And while I can sometimes be pretty stubborn or unsafe in how I do it, it always leaves me satisfied to come away from a trip without incident and ticket-less. Oh, and I always make good time. I am Payton's unconscious smile.

    0 comments:

    Copyright 2010 occasional contemplations