CD Review: Relient K - Forget and Now Slow Down

  • Tuesday, October 6, 2009
  • Payton Bartee
  • Annnnnnd I'm back into blogging! Though my few (if any) followers have little assurance that I won't go into a Howard Hughes-like disappearance again, I'm wholeheartedly giving consistent writing another shot. And look at the fancy new theme--fashioned after another movie I love, The Prestige--that means I'm serious, right? I'll jump back into the fray with a music review. Instead of harping on for eternity about individual songs, I'll quickly try to encapsulate the essence of an album, while highlighting songs I enjoyed or admire. Here we go...

    ------------------

    The fusion of life experiences and the timing in which they take place is certainly one of the more peculiar phenomenons people encounter. Usually these events transpire under the weighty circumstances of love, something career-related, or even relocation. It is in the realm of music, however, where one's being and the written words of another sync harmoniously. So it is with my life and the little-Christian-rock-band-that could, Relient K. The boys from Dayton, Ohio are back and sounding better than ever with Forget and Not Slow Down. Given their past two efforts seamlessly fused with who I was or where I have been (college, in transition), I shouldn't be surprised lead singer/lyricist Matthew Thiessen seems to be in my head on this one, too.

    The title track (and first single) is vintage Thiessen--just the right amount of catchy rock to get stuck in your head, while clever/poignant enough to make an impact. First-time listeners and die hard fans alike will discover a variety of sounds on
    Forget. As the band has aged, the more noticeable punk influences have faded, resulting in some occasional soft, charming songs like "Savannah." Thiessen has always been something of a romantic, but he also possesses a raw authenticity in his words. Between some of the hardest guitar play the band's ever featured and the laid-back acoustic nature, the album flows surprisingly well. This is definitely a Relient K-sounding CD, yet the group sounds so comfortable broadening that sound as they mature; a great thing for the fans.

    My favorites:
    -"Therapy"
    -"Savannah"
    -"Forget and Not Slow Down"
    -"Candlelight"

    0 comments:

    Copyright 2010 occasional contemplations