My Top 10 Movies of 2007

  • Monday, January 14, 2008
  • Payton Bartee
  • 2007 has been an incredible year in cinema for me. Assembling this list was both easy and difficult; there were so many excellent films, yet so few spaces in a Top 10. I'd love to call an audible and branch out to 15 spots, but I'm just going to use 15-11 as Honorable Mentions. I have never done more than 10, but there's too many good films to talk about. I have seen virtually every major release I've wanted to before making this list, but a few potential Top 5 spoilers could warrant future editing. Until then, here we go...

    Apologies To:

    -There Will Be Blood
    -Into the Wild
    -The Assassination of Jesse James
    -Michael Clayton
    -The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

    Honorable Mentions:

    15. Charlie Wilson's War
    14. 1408
    13. Knocked Up
    12. Ocean's Thirteen
    11. I Am Legend

    The Top 10:

    10. Juno
    "What's the prognosis, Fertile Myrtle?"




    9. Ratatouille
    "After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?"




    8. 3:10 to Yuma
    "If I don't go, we gotta pack up and leave. Now I'm tired, Alice. I'm tired of watching my boys go hungry. I'm tired of the way that they look at me. I'm tired of the way that you don't."




    7. The Kingdom
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees? I bring that lesson to this job. I act, knowing that someday this job will end, no matter what. You should do the same."




    6. Superbad
    "The guy's either going think 'here's another guy with a fake ID', or here's McLovin, 25-year-old Hawaiian organ donor. Okay? So what's it gonna be?"




    5. Gone Baby Gone
    "Kids forgive, they don't judge, they turn the other cheek, and what do they get for it?"




    4. Atonement
    "I can become again the man who once crossed the surrey park at dusk, in my best suit, swaggering on the promise of life."




    3. Zodiac
    "Do you know more people die in the East Bay commute every three months than that idiot ever killed? He offed a few citizens, wrote a few letters, then faded into footnote...Not that I haven't been sitting here idly, waiting for you to drop by and reinvigorate my sense of purpose."




    2. The Bourne Ultimatum
    "Do you even know why you're supposed to kill me? Look at us. Look at what they make you give."




    1. No Country for Old Men
    "The crime you see now, it's hard to even take its measure. It's not that I'm afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job. But I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say 'Okay...I'll be part of this world.'"


    0 comments:

    Copyright 2010 occasional contemplations