Rock Chalk Jayhawk -- Midseason Report

  • Monday, January 21, 2008
  • Payton Bartee

  • Well, my beloved Jayhawks have finally entered Big 12 conference play. To be totally honest, I didn't think we'd be 18-0 coming into it, either, so the level of play I've seen from my boys has been quite the surprise. There were too many "ifs" present on this team for even their biggest fan to justify a preseason undefeated prediction. Rush's knee, Collins's foot, post presence, heart. This group has always had the talent to succeed, but the will to put away opponents and play their high octane brand of basketball on both ends of the floor has sometimes been questioned. Not anymore; at least, not from me.

    High Points:
    1. Team unity--With all the early injuries, I had my doubts about how well the regular starting 5 would play together once they all were back on the floor. But I underestimated the three years of growth they've all endured through their Big 12 challenges and early NCAA tournament losses. Now, they're all playing together like seasoned veterans, even though some pieces have been added along the way (Darrell Arthur, Sherron Collins).
    2. Big men--The play of senior Darnell Jackson has been nothing short of heroic. I've observed him his entire career, and he's never played with this much fire. The guy's playing 24 minutes a game (2nd lowest of the starting 5) and leading the team in rebounding, while also coming just a hair behind fellow big man Darrell Arthur and Mario Chalmers for 3rd in scoring. He's been aggressive (upped his RPG by 2), smart (67% from the field!), and an overall team leader on this squad. Arthur has been exceptional as well--together, they give the Jayhawks a dynamic duo of fluid big men to run the floor...something Sasha Kaun simply cannot provide. Let's just hope Arthur doesn't declare for the draft.
    3. Bill Self--This is the Bill Self I've been waiting for since he came over from Illinois. I want the mean, motivating, blue-collar defense Bill Self, not the "Ive been to Final Fours, my team will be fine without me" Bill Self. The coach has been fantastic this year, not letting his talented team rest on their laurels at any point this season. See for instance KU's blowout of Loyola of Maryland, which for Self was apparently not a well-executed victory. He knows the limits, but I really hope he continues to ride these guys into conference play. The last thing they need is to 1) get overconfident 2) get in a trap game (hello, Mizzou) 3) choke in the NCAA Tournament again


    Low Points:
    1. Sasha Kaun--I was really hoping he would make his senior year special, but the 7-footer just doesn't seem to have the hustle necessary for this running team. He's upped his PPG and FG% from last year, but I just don't see a presence from him like I do from Jackson/Arthur.
    2. For as long as I've watched this current squad, the potential is always there for them to lose focus and drop a few games in these dog days of winter. Don't get me wrong, Big 12 play pretty much guarantees a good matchup, but the Jayhawks have one of/if not the best starting 5 in the nation. The confidence and poise they've played with on offense AND defense should be present in every game.

    Future:
    1. Big games ahead--1/30 @ Kansas State could be an upset if KU isn't mentally prepared. Super freshman Michael Beasley teaming with RS freshman Bill Walker has me scared of the Wildcats. 2/11 @ Texas is always a tough place to play, but DJ Augustin is one of the best PGs in America. Oh well, at least Rick Barnes is coaching the Horns. 3/8 @ A&M reeks makes me nervous, partly because I still have nightmares about Acie Law. Mark Turgeon's a good coach, and while the Aggies have lost some depth, they've still got some great pieces in Joseph Jones and DeAndre Jordan.
    2. The NCAA Tournament--I'd be lying if I said I didn't have high expectations for this team. I love their chances in the tournament, because they have all the ingredients you need for a good run--solid post play, 2-3 scoring guards, good coaching, and defense. KU is the only team in the nation to rank in the Top 5 in both Offensive and Defensive Efficiency (4th for each last I checked). That speaks volumes for how well-built they are for the Big Dance.

    0 comments:

    Copyright 2010 occasional contemplations